These pictures were sent
to us by Ian Kindred from Toronto, Canada.
They were taken in 1939
after the outbreak of WWII at the Stowmarket Sand Pits owned by his
Grandfather, W.C. Kindred. The pits were located on Victoria Road.
The foundry quality sand
was being used for sand bags which ultimately lead to the depletion of the
material and the eventual demise of the pits.